Korean Learning Links
Links to Web pages with descriptions of the basic poomsaes:
- Academic Taekwondo: Taekwondo Forms and Breaking
This site has drawings of the poomses.
Taekwondo – Poomsés
This site has some videos of the poomses. The rest of the site is in French, so if you don't understand French, bookmark just this page!
Professional Female Martial Artists
- Cynthia Rothrock, Martial Arts/Action Film Star
Cynthia Rothrock is not only a great action star, but also an incredibly accomplished martial artist. She holds 5 Black Belts in various Far Eastern martial disciplines. These Arts include; Tang Soo Do (Korean), Tae Kwon Do (Korean), Eagle Claw (Chinese), Wu Shu (contemporary Chinese), and Northern Shaolin (classical Chinese).
- Jennifer Lawler, Ph.D., Author and Teacher
Jennifer Lawler is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, martial arts teacher, and the author/co-author of more than 25 published non-fiction books.
- Lisa King, Muay Thai Kick Boxer
- Valerie Lee, Instructor and Licensed Acupuncturist
Sifu Valerie Lee is a head instructor at Gold Mountain Kung Fu School (San Francisco) and a licensed acupuncturist. Valerie teaches Long Fist, Chen Taiji, and weapons classes at various schools and at San Francisco State University.
When I first began teaching I thought that as a woman I would attract mainly female students. In fact, my class in the park is made up of male students. Women can especially excel in our kung fu style because a considerable amount of physical strength is developed from the legs and hips. Given the ability to give birth, their hips are about the strongest part of their bodies; therefore they are likely to have the fortitude to thrive with this training.
- Carol Middleton, Founder of DC Self Defense Karate Association
Sensei Carol Middleton is a 7th degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and founder of the DC Self Defense Karate Association (which teaches Taekwondo).
- Members of the National Women's Martial Arts Federation
A lot of female instructors here.
- ABT Taekwondo and Hapkido.
A lot of female instructors here.
Organizations for Female Martial Artists
- National Women's Martial Arts Federation
- The Pacific Association of Women Martial Artists
- The Association of Women Martial Arts Instructors
- Women Martial Arts Instructors
- Photo gallery of female kick boxers
Women in the Martial Arts
- Black Belt Mama
A fun Web site about a Mom and her kid learning karate.
A Web site with information about and photos of many female martial arts competitions and competitors.
- BOXERS, a film by Joanna Kohler
BOXERS is the story of seven women claiming their own story about the love of boxing. Premieres in March 2007.
- The Taekwondo Diaries
A blog about an English woman who teaches Taekwondo in Korea and also speaks fluent Korean. You can also get it for free as an eBook which is just the thing if you like to print things out like I do rather than stare at a flickering screen all day.
- Kicks Martial Arts for Women
Self Defense for Women
- Holla Back NYC
Defend yourself against harassment in New York City by taking a picture with your cell phone and posting it to this website.
- No Nonsense Self Defense
I like this Web site, because it gives some realistic advice about how to protect yourself.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
If something about your relationship with your partner scares you and you need to talk, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE.
- Taekwondo Physics
- Korean Academy of Taekwondo, Articles about physics: Distance: The Donut of Danger, Basics of Taekwondo Physics, Game Theory and Taekwondo Parts 1 and 2, biomechanics section.
Martial Arts - The Arts Of Fight
- Your Martial Arts Guide, Taekwondo, Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Capoeira, Kung Fu, Silat, Brazilian Jiu Jutsu, Ninjutsu and all other martial arts including video, article and tv.
Korean Culture Links
- Buhay Sa Korea
A blog written by a Korean woman living in Korea.
- Understanding Korea
- The Korea Times
- The Korea Blog